Shawnee Mission Radio Control Club takes pride in our history of providing free flight instruction. Your first experience flying will be a lot more enjoyable if you let us help you. On Tuesday evenings the field is reserved for pilot instruction and anyone interested is welcome to attend. Membership is not required to participate. SMRCC club members will check out your plane, provide flying instruction, or simply provide answers to your questions about the hobby and our club.
Club member trainees that demonstrate to the instructor they can control their aircraft while obeying club rules and flying regulations will be issued a SMRCC Flying Permit granting un-restricted access to the flying field.
- Training season runs April thru mid October 5:00PM till dusk.
- AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership or a free 60 day AMA Intro Pilot program registration is mandatory for flight training.
- Provide a fuel or electric aircraft designed as a “Trainer” (high wing, slow flight characteristics) labeled with owner name, address, AMA#, phone#, along with support supplies and equipment.
- Transmitting radio with ability to connect a slave control (buddy box). Spectrum, JR, Futaba brands preferred.
- All batteries must be newer, in good condition, and fully charged. Trainee will provide relevant charging equipment.
- We face the setting sun in the evenings. Quality non-polarized sunglasses and a ball cap are recommended.
- Training instruction is delegated on a first come first served basis. Club members will get priority.
- Trainee accepts all risks and SMRCC training staff is not liable for damages or loss of equipment.
- Persons under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
If you have questions please contact Steve Spielbusch: email@example.com