Shawnee Mission Radio Control Club takes pride in our history of providing free flight instruction. Your first experience flying will be a lot more enjoyable if you let us help you. On Tuesday evenings the field is reserved for pilot instruction and anyone interested is welcome to attend. Membership is not required to participate. SMRCC club members will check out your plane, provide flying instruction, or simply provide answers to your questions about the hobby and our club in general.
Club member trainees that demonstrate to the instructor they can safely control their aircraft while obeying club rules and flying regulations will be issued a SMRCC Flying Permit granting un-restricted access to the flying field.
- Training season runs March 20th thru mid October 5:00 PM till dusk.
- AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership or a free 60 day AMA Intro Pilot program registration is mandatory for flight training.
- Trainees will provide a fuel or electric aircraft designed as a “Trainer” (high wing, slow flight characteristics) labeled with owner name, address, AMA#, phone#, along with support supplies and equipment.
- Transmitting radio with ability to connect a slave control (buddy box). Spectrum, JR, and Futaba units are most familiar to the instructors and helpers.
- All batteries must be newer, in good condition, and fully charged. Trainee will provide relevant charging equipment. Remember if you fly electric to have several spare batteries on hand so you can be flying often.
- We face the setting sun in the evenings. Quality non-polarized sunglasses and a ball cap are recommended.
- Training instruction is delegated on a first come first served basis. Club members will get priority.
- Trainee accepts all risks and SMRCC and training staff are not liable for accidental damages to and/or loss of aircraft.
- SMRCC reserves the right to revoke training privileges to anyone that appears to be under the influence of drugs/alcohol, or acting in an inappropriate manner.
- Students under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Young children are welcome but are not allowed near the flight line or the starting stands for their safety. Running and horseplay will not be tolerated.
If you have questions please contact Steve Spielbusch: firstname.lastname@example.org